Biker News - Regularly updated

Welcome to our News section, where articles are listed below and if relevant within the categories on the right, just to make it easier for you to find what you wish to read...

Please note that the content within our News section (text and images), follows the same copyright laws/notice as all other content on the website - ie not to be reproduced (including slightly amending) without prior consent. 

Double podium for Simpson at Donington Park

Posted on


Antrim’s John Simpson took two second place finishes at Donington Park for round ten of the Fuchs-Silkolene British Supersport Cup Championship to further consolidate his Championship lead.

Simpson placed his T3 Racing Triumph in second place during qualifying for the Cup race and 16th overall. He had a race long battle with David Paton who is his main title rival. They swapped places a number of times between first and second with Simpson having to settle for second place and take home as many points as possible. He also finished in 12th place in the overall race.

The second race of the weekend was action packed with a red flag due to rain and a red flag due to fluid on the track. On the initial start Simpson jumped straight into the lead and held it for six laps. He was relegated to second for three laps and that is when the rain came on stopping the race.

On the re-start Simpson opted to use a different tyre which unfortunately wasn’t up to temperature when the race started. He didn’t make such a good start and found himself in third place. This part of the race was halted after just four laps thanks to Paton’s machine dropping fluid on track. This gifted second place to Simpson in the Cup race and 13th place overall.

Simpson said: “We were having a problem with over-heating this weekend. At the start of the race I was pulling away and then the warning light came on and I could feel a drop in power. All through the turns the bike was fine as it has plenty of torque, but as soon as I hit the straight I was losing out on power. I decided to make sure I finished and took it easy. On the re-start I went for a zero tyre which just wasn’t up to temperature and didn’t work for me. Either way I’ve still got the lead by 80 points so I’m happy enough.”

Jimmy Dye had a difficult first outing at Donington Park in the Oulton Park Metzeler National Superstock 600 race re-run, aboard his T3 Racing Triumph.

He started from 20th on the grid and had progressed through to sixteenth place in just two laps. He was pushed back to 18th but was on the move again when another rider wiped him out at the Esses on lap seven of the ten lap race.

The second race of the weekend saw Dye start from 28th but worked his way up to 17th place picking off eleven riders. Unfortunately for Dye he had a big moment and almost high sided which lost him a number of places. He finally came over the line in 20th position.

Dye said: “During qualifying I couldn’t get the bike to turn so we made some big changes which worked but I lost out in qualifying as we were having this problem. The changes worked and in the Oulton Park re-run I felt good and was going well until I got wiped out. We ran the same settings in the second race and it was working great. Then I got out of the seat and started having problems with rear grip and turning the bike again. I had an excursion across the gravel which lost me a few places. It’s been a difficult one but I’m off to Silverstone for a test so we should be in good shape for the next round."

Add a comment:

Leave a comment:
  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


Add a comment